A Mommy Makeover is not a procedure it in itself, but a combination of surgical procedures. This surgery is ideal if you want to retain the body you had before your pregnancy.
After pregnancy, the female body undergoes massive physical changes. These changes include stretching and sagging of breasts, stretching of the abdominal muscle and unwanted fat deposit on arms, buttocks and thighs.
This surgery helps regain the volume of breasts and get rid of breast sagging caused by breastfeeding and stretching of the breast tissue. This is done with the help of a breast augmentation procedure combined with a breast lift surgery. To get rid of the abdominal fat, an abdominoplasty or a tummy tuck procedure can be undergone. A lot of fat gets deposited post pregnancy in various parts of the body, apart from the abdomen. To get rid of these involuntary fat deposits, a liposuction is executed on the thighs, butt and arms.
WHO IS A PERFECT CANDIDATE TO UNDERGO A MOMMY MAKEOVER?
Mommy Makeover procedure can help women unhappy with their postpartum appearance get their confidence back.
This surgical procedure is undergone mostly after pregnancy, when the female body undergoes drastic changes affecting the body permanently. These changes include weight gain, fat deposits, stretch marks and sagging breasts. A mommy makeover helps you achieve a flatter stomach and better breasts by uplifting of breasts along with a breast augmentation i.e. providing volume to your deflated breasts. It helps you get rid of the fat deposits permanently without having to undergo rigorous exercise.
If you have recently undergone a pregnancy and want to regain the body that you previously had without having to work out much for it, this procedure might just be what you are looking for!
However, if you are planning to undergo more pregnancies, this procedure must be avoided. It will be most beneficial and yield the best surgical results if the abdominal muscle is not re-stretched again and again.
HOW IS A MOMMY MAKEOVER PERFORMED?
A Mommy Makeover can help improve or restore the patient’s figure in as little as one day.
In one operative session, a mommy makeover procedure deals with-
After child bearing, a woman undergoes drastic bodily changes inside out. Along with a physical transformation, an internal transformation also occurs. Tummy tuck or an abdominoplasty works to correct a separated abdominis muscle, causing a separation of the mid-abdominal muscles resulting in a pooch or bulging out of the tummy. A tummy tuck procedure can be combined further with various other surgeries such as-
- Tummy tuck + liposuction
- Tummy tuck + breast lift
- Tummy tuck + breast augmentation
- Tummy tuck + breast reduction
A mommy makeover procedure is performed using local anesthesia, which reduces the risk of a pulmonary embolism and fat embolism associated with general anesthesia.
ABDOMINOPLASTY OR TUMMY TUCK.
An abdominoplasty/ tummy tuck is a procedure involving the removal of fat and excess skin. An incision is made in the abdominal wall revealing the muscles or the fascia. These abdominal muscles are tightened using sutures.
- BREAST PROCEDURES.
- Breast lift
- Breast augmentation
A breast lift procedure or Mastopexy is undergone to provide an upliftment of sagging breasts. As a result, they look more youthful and prominent. An incision is made around the areola to remove the excess sagging skin and tissue, lifting the nipples. The skin is then reattached using sutures.
A breast augmentation procedure or Mammoplasty is undergone to achieve enhanced and enlarged breasts. This can be achieved using saline implants, silicone implants or own body fat.
Liposuction provides body contouring by extracting fat deposits from various parts of the body such as the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, chin, neck, flanks, arms and back. It is usually done with the help of a thin hollow surgical instrument called ‘cannula’ which is inserted into the tissues to extract fat.
WHAT ARE THE PRE- OPERATIVE REQUIREMENTS?
The potential risks and complications of surgery are rare but the most common ones include reactions to anesthesia, blood accumulation that may need to be drained surgically and infection.
- Undergo physical examination (H&P) and anemia detection (CBC) procedures, clearing you for surgery.
- The BMI or the body mass index is calculated using the height and weight. Your BMI must be less than 77 pounds.
- No eating or drinking after midnight the day of surgery.
- Avoid smoking at least 14 days before surgery to avoid excess blood loss post surgery.
- Avoid intake of multivitamins, herbals and aspirin at least 14 days before surgery.
WHAT ARE THE POST- OPERATIVE REQUIREMENTS?
The post- operative requirements for a mommy makeover procedure depend on the combination of surgeries you are planning to undergo. These post surgical instructions are very specific and are to be followed as suggested, in order to avoid any post surgical complications.
- Take adequate rest. Take an off from work for at least two weeks after the surgery.
- Drains will be inserted for both the breast procedure and the abdominoplasty procedure to avoid fluid accumulation. The drain for the breast procedure will be removed after 2 days of surgery (post-op) and 6 days for the tummy tuck.
- A compression garment with suitable padding will be provided to you after the surgery that has to be worn at all times to ensure quicker healing and less pain.
- No driving or extreme movement for at least 3 weeks after surgery.
- Make sure you visit for post- operative follow up visits after a week, 4 months and a year.
- Resume work and normal activity after about a 4-6 weeks.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE RISKS AND COMPLICATIONS?
Complications post surgery can arrive when the post- operative instructions are not followed accordingly or the compression garment is not worn at all times. Some of the complications that can arise post surgery are-
- Fluid accumulation or Seroma
- Blood clotting or Hematoma
- Scarring and bruising