Thighplasty is a cosmetic surgical procedure which tightens or contours the inner and outer thighs. It involves the extraction of fat and tightening of the skin. This procedure can be performed on patients who have or have not undergone a weight loss transformation.
The thigh lift procedure can also be performed in combination with other surgical procedures such as liposuction and abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).
An outer thigh lift procedure in combination with the tummy tuck is commonly known as ‘EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK’. An inner thigh lift procedure is commonly performed as a single procedure.
WHAT PROBLEMS DOES A THIGH LIFT ADDRESS?
- Poor skin elasticity caused by ageing
- Loose or sagging skin on the outer and inner thighs
- Fat deposits on the outer and inner thigh due to excess weight gain
- Excess loose skin as a result of a weight loss transformation
A thigh lift procedure can also be performed in combination with a liposuction procedure. If you have a lot of fat tissue, a liposuction procedure will be performed prior to a thigh lift surgery to get rid of all the excess fat before performing a contouring procedure that will be achieved with the thigh lift surgery.
The thigh lift surgery contours and defines the skin along with the removal of fat and excess skin. It reshapes and smoothens the thighs, resulting in more proportioned and toned looking legs.
HOW IS A THIGH LIFT SURGERY PERFORMED?
INNER THIGH LIFT- Before making an incision, the pubic area is shaved. This is done so that hair does not hinder the surgical process. To provide the most sterile and bacteria free environment, the pubic area is cleaned using betadine. The inner thigh will then be marked according to the incisions made around the groin crease. After the incision is made, the skin is up folded and the excess fat is removed. The skin is further tightened and the incision is closed up by sutures using the lockwood technique. The stiching is done using dissolvable sutures. The lockwood technique makes sure that the sutures are made on deeper levels rather than the surface level which only increases the risk of tension. A tension will cause the scar to widen which may cause discomfort and further complications.
OUTER THIGH LIFT- An outer thigh lift incision is made below the hip line to remove fat and excess skin that hangs below the hip area. The incisions are made before the surgical procedure starts with all consciousness and according to the requirements of the patient. The stitching up of the incision is done using dissolvable sutures.
WHAT ARE THE PRE- OPERATIVE REQUIREMENTS?
- Body mass index or BMI must be less than 77 pounds.
- Quit smoking at least 2 weeks prior to surgery
- Stop the intake of aspirin, multivitamins, herbals and vitamin E at least 2 weeks prior to surgery
- A physical and history (H&P) and an anemia detection test (CBC) is required clearing you for surgery.
- Do not intake any solid food or liquids after midnight the day of surgery.
WHAT ARE THE POST- OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS?
- Take adequate rest for at least a week post surgery.
- A compression garment inserted with padding will be given to you that have to be worn at all times until your next post- operative appointment.
- After a week, show for a post- op at the clinic/hospital where your compression garment will be removed.
- Do not sit directly on your buttocks for at least 3 weeks.
- Do not drive for at least 4 weeks after surgery.
- Visit regularly for your post-op follow ups.
- You can resume your regular activities after 6 weeks.
RISKS AND COMPLICATIONS?
- Poor wound healing